Thursday, February 23, 2017

CAM PERITZ TO WESLEYAN....A++




Cam Peritz in Action
Pope Francis, Jan. 15, 2017
Photo by Alfredo

Cam Peritz should get an A++ for his college hockey opportunity and decision. The Pope Francis High Hockey star started as an 8th grader at Cathedral and made his presence known right away by scoring some goals in key games. He currently is ranked 2nd in scoring in Mass Division I High School Hockey with 39 points in 20 games as he has led Pope Francis to a 15-4-1 record and a very probable Super 8 selection. He is also a leading candidate as Western Mass Player of the Year.

So why do I consider his college opportunity / decision A++ ?  With his credentials I am sure he would have had Division I college opportunities, something that most high school hockey players dream of. This would also, most probably, have included one or two years of Junior play. On a personal level Junior play is something that I never fully bought into since with all other sports athletes have an opportunity to play directly in college right out of high school. Oh, I understand Junior play and the reasons why, and the excuses they give which I don't fully buy into. What colleges get are essentially semi-pro players who end up playing college hockey at 24 or 25 years old!

Enough of that, let's look at Cam's decision. First and foremost, let's first look at education. Wesleyan University, part of the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) offers some of the best education in the country. The fact that they are "smaller" schools with relatively lower enrollment is even better since the education is more personal and more effective. People in Western Mass are very familiar with Amherst College and what a great school that is. They are also a member of NESCAC. Cam is an excellent student and he will fit well at Wesleyan. 

To play directly out of high school, WOW!  What an opportunity !  I love it for all the reasons I gave above. I say, why not?

I have watched and followed Cam play since he was an 8th grader at Cathedral. When I first heard about his decision to go to Wesleyan, I was absolutely thrilled for him. My thoughts were, and still are, that this is EVEN BETTER than any DI opportunity that he may have had. Having watched and photographed many NESCAC games while in Amherst, I know that it is a very good and competitive brand of hockey. It is also great that being in Middletown, CT that family and friends can see him play.

My personal rating of Cam's decision and opportunity, for what it is worth,  is A++ .

Alfredo DiLascia
Image News Service


No comments:

Post a Comment